310 Wild Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10314
Phone: (718) 370-8555
Fax: (718) 370-7555
Willowbrook Park is a beautiful park with lovely amenities for visitors. The park features a well marked trail for walking enthusiasts. The park is known to offer scenic views at sunset and attracts many visitors to witness the same.
Built on 2 acres (0.81 ha) of land this historic epsicopal church is the church of St. Andrew. Designed in the beauties of Romanesque and Norman Romanesque styles of architecture, the church is a historic church that welcomes everyone and to not only visit but also join in it's services of praise and worship. Over 300 years, the church has remained as a strong and active community that is dedicated to prayers, fellowship and reaching out to the people.
Step back into New York's early history in this sprawling complex. There are 19th, 18th and 17th century buildings, including an original (moved) structure from 1685. Architectural styles of the 27 buildings range from a Greek revival courthouse to more typical Dutch colonial buildings. The 100-acre park hosts craft fairs, Saturday night concerts, Civil War reenactments and flea markets. Christmas is a month long celebration, and summer displays are hosted by staff in period costume.
The Staten Island Lighthouse or the Ambrose Channel Range Light towers at 90 feet (27.43 meters) on Richmond Hill. This beautiful, octagonal shaped tower is made of bricks and has a gray rock base. It features a winding staircase which takes you to the watch-room. The keeper's house is located nearby and is designed in a similar way with spacious rooms. It is now a private home. The lighthouse still serves mariners entering the Ambrose Channel and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.
This 60 acre preserve is the site of 19th century clay mining. It contains a variety of unique habitats, such as wetlands, ponds, sand barrens, spring-fed streams and woodlands.
The Temple Emanu-El is located at Staten Island, New York. This synagogue was built in the year 1907 and was designed by Pelcher and Zobel. It has a Classical style of architecture with a pedimented front porch and golden domes. It got listed on the National Registrar of Historic Places on August 2, 2007.
The Kreischer House on Charleston, Staten Island has an interesting story behind it. The historic home, was constructed by German brick-maker Balthasar Kreischer in 1885. This two-storied Late Victorian style mansion is quite irregularly shaped with chimneys and turret protruding from the main structure. The 14 room mansion was converted into a restaurant in 1996. However, it is more well known for being the scene of many tragic killings and is supposedly haunted.
Clove Lakes Park is famous for its serpentine rock effects, lakes, ponds and woodlands. This protected site was built in the 1930s though plans were considered way back in 1897. Spread across nearly 200 acres (80.94 hectares), it has fish ponds, three lakes, trails, restrooms, the Staten Island War Memorial Skating Rink, athletic fields such as baseball, soccer and football, a basketball court, playgrounds, picnic spots. Boating opportunities are also available here. Its famous resident is the "Clove Lake Colossus", a massive, 300 years old tulip tree. Some of the fish species that you will see are the carp, pumpkinseed, brown bullhead, largemouth bass and bluegill. Bird-watchers can spot Canada geese, kingfishers, red tailed hawks and mallards. It is a dog-friendly park, so unleash your pets and let they them have a gala time.
This is a great place to go with younger children. It is a small zoo with a large variety of animals and one of the largest reptile collections around. It also has a petting zoo that young children will love. The Staten Island Zoo is cash only.
Gardiner-Tyler House was built in 1835 and is located in West New Brighton, Staten Island, New York. The building is built in the Greek Revival style of architecture and features two stories and Corinthian order columns. Former First Lady Julia Gardiner Tyler called this place home in the late 1800s. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in November 23, 1984.
The Elizabeth Public Library is a free library with a treasure trove of interesting books and records. For the book-lover, it offers a glimpse into rare documents and manuscripts of history. It was built on a grant by Andrew Carnegie, and is one of the busiest libraries in the entire country.
The First Presbyterian Church of Elizabeth was built in 1783. The ancient church site encompasses 3.5 acres (1.4 hectares) of land area. Primly located at Elizabeth in Union County, New Jersey, it occupies great historic importance. The Sunday worship invites diverse set of people to assemble together and worship in the memory of the Lord. The distinct Church is a great force in the spiritual growth of an individual. It is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.