Comfort Inn Latham - Albany North
981 New Loudon Road
Cohoes, NY 12047
Phone: (518) 785-0000
Fax: (518) 785-1285
The historic Van Schaick House has since its establishment in 1735, played a key role in most wars that have shaped the history of America. It has served as a military headquarters for numerous colonial generals and leaders for the Indian and French Wars. It was also claimed the New York State Capitol in the August of 1777, as per Governor Clinton's commands. As of 1971, it was enlisted in the US National Register of Historic Places and in 2008, it was deemed a part of the New York State Revolutionary War Heritage Trail, making it one of the most significant historic houses in the state of New York.
The St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Church is a magnificent church building established in 1906. It displays the Romanesque style of architecture and has been designed by noted architects Bernhardt and Noack. Located at the junction of 4th Avenue and 24th Street, the church has a stunning architecture and speaks only of grandeur. The splendid design and intricate details are a proof of the golden era it belonged to. The church is open and fully functional with services and ceremonies being routinely held.
The Shaker Movement or more technically the United Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearing, was an offshoot branch of the Quakers and in this part of upstate NY, Watervliet (present-day Colonie) was called home. Today, the Shaker Heritage Society is a non-profit organization that aims to promote and preserve this very first Shaker settlement in the nation. The society holds different activities and events to educate people about the Shakers, their culture and other facts. Craft fairs, workshops, concerts, dramas and much more are organized throughout the year.
The city of Waterford in New York is home to the scenic Peebles Island State Park. The historically important state park site occupies tremendous monumental value. And, the year 1973, marked its entry in to the National Register of Historic Places. The site is a superb recreational avenue where one can relax over the tables that proffer picturesque views of the hiking and biking paths.
The Melville House and Museum is certainly an important landmark and was once the abode of famous author, Herman Melville. Currently, this historical house is under the purview of Lansingburgh Historical Society, and can be toured with prior appointment only.
Located in Troy, the Kate Mullany National Historic Site is home to the American Labor Studies Center. It is acknowledged as a vital historic site by varied government agencies and charities. It was declared as a National Historic Site in 1998. The premises holds a park featuring numerous trees and plantations. Former First Lady, Hillary Rodham Clinton. referred to this house as treasure during her visit here in 2000. With such diverse remarks and honors, this house is also on the New York’s Women Heritage Trail.
The St. Paul's Episcopal Church is a historic church located in Troy, New York. The church is a part of the Troy Historic District and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. Built in 1828, this Gothic Revival church features limestone exteriors and a 100 foot (30 meter) tower. The interiors are just as grand with high ceilings and beautifully illuminated stained glass windows and chandeliers.
The tomb of Chester A, Arthur, the 21st president of the United States, is a sculpted masterpiece in one of the most beautiful cemeteries in the country. The tomb is located inside of the Albany Rural Cemetery, just north of downtown Albany towards the town of Troy. Sculptor Ephraim Keyser designed the massive winged angel alongside the exposed casket and its exact location is Lot 8 Section 24. The cemetery itself is a marvel and it makes a great side-stop if you're near Troy.
The Engine Company 6 is a historic firehouse popularly known as the J. C. Osgood Firehouse. This firehouse was included in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 2000. It is one of the few surviving firehouses in Troy that are still preserved and in working condition.
This space is a beautiful venue for performing arts and worship. The Chapel + Cultural Center (C+CC) features spiritual living in 1960s architecture. Owned and operated by a non-profit corporation, the C+CC Center facilitates artistic endeavors in its terrace, lawns and assembly space. The building is a wonderful meeting ground for gatherings, concerts, fairs, memorial services, community breakfasts, and exercise classes. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2011.
Menand Park Historic District has 21 contributing structures that have adapted Prairie School style of architecture. In 1985, it was placed in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
Started in 1844, nearly 18,000 students choose to pursue their research and professional careers at the State University of New York at Albany for a few simple reasons. Its prime location in the heart of New York exposes students and professionals to an international assembly of backgrounds and perspectives; top-notch facilities and resources offer the best in world-class research from global welfare to nanotechnology; and finally, the University at Albany is a haven for forward thinkers and new ideas. Alongside the wealth of promise for students and researchers, the campus itself buzzes with activity for visitors, offering a lush campus. several theatre performances, and high-energy sporting events well-known, not just in the college community, but throughout the state.