1544 Bear Creek Pike
Columbia, TN 38401
Phone: (931) 388-2500
Fax: (931) 388-2595
Rippavilla Plantation was the 19th-century home of the Cheairs family. The estate house has been restored to its antebellum appearance and includes many family antiques and period pieces. Tours are available for the home and grounds, and special events are scheduled throughout the year. In the fall, the plantation's star attraction is it's ten-acre corn maze which includes over three miles of paths and educational information. The design of the corn maze is different each fall. Rippavilla Plantation is also available for weddings and special events. - Lynn-nore Chittom
The Spring Hill Presbyterian Church dates back to the 1880s era and is deep-rooted in history. Included in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places, it continues to serve the community and strive for peace.
Established in 1877, the Grace Episcopal Church is one of the oldest churches in the city. The majestic church building was designed by noted architect P.J.Williamson, and constructed in the Carpenter Gothic Style. The well-maintained edifice has numerous striking features including the stained glass windows and original woodwork. There have been numerous additions to the original structure over the years to enhance its beauty.
The Athenaeum Rectory was formerly a clergy house for the Columbia Female Institute. The building structure was completely constructed in 1837 and has adapted the Gothic and Moorish styles of architecture. Incorporated in the National Register of Historic Places, this recently refurbished building hosts exhibitions on a regular basis.
This two level Greek style building called the Elm Springs is the name of a lovely house that existed before the Civil War. This beautiful red structure had an amazing entrance with the long white pillars which was attached to the roof. The beautiful land of grass that laid in front of the the mansion was stunning and make this a great historical visit place for the people as it reflects the history of the old times.
High Meadow Alpacas is a large and beautiful alpaca farm located in the rolling hills of Leipers Fork south of Nashville outside the city of Franklin. With over 150 acres (61 hectares) and over 400 individual alpacas, High Meadow Alpacas is the largest alpaca breeding farm in the southeast. The award-winning alpacas in this herd come from some of the best breeding lines in the country, resulting in numerous show awards and some of the highest quality alpaca offspring available for purchase anywhere in the country. High Meadow Alpacas welcomes visitors but does not have established hours, so appointments are necessary. This is a great excursion for all animal lovers and particularly alpaca enthusiasts. -Lynn-nore Chittom
Possibly the five bloodiest hours of America's Civil War took place here at the Battle of Franklin. On November 30, 1864, Carnton was occupied by Confederate troops moving toward the well-entrenched Federal army. A devastating battle ensued. Later, the mansion housed hundreds of the more than 6,000 Confederate casualties from that battle. Adjacent to the property is the largest private Confederate cemetery in America.
This two towered castle looks like it was dropped here from medieval Europe. Located just south of Nashville on the outskirts of the hamlet of Triune, this castle is only open to public during the yearly Renaissance Fair. Initial construction began in 1980, though the castle's owner began drawing up plans when he was in high school, and still continues today (currently the edifice consists of two peaked towers and a building connecting, but ultimately the master plans call for four towers).
The St. Paul's Episcopal Church is a historic church located in Franklin, Tennessee. Built in 1831, this church is a fine example of Gothic Revival style architecture and features red brick exteriors and gable roofs with elegantly designed stained glass windows. The property was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
Fort Granger was constructed as part of the military strategy during the American Civil War. It came into prominence during the Battle of Franklin when it was used as a headquarter by Federal General John M. Schofield. Fort Granger faced several fierce attacks from the Confederate cavalry units. Though now the site has been transformed into a city park, the trenches that were dug by the troops still exist.
Constructed in 1897, the Knights of Pythias Pavilion or the Carlisle House, was designed Henry Gibel and is a classic example of Classical Revival architecture. With the pavilion being originally constructed in Nashville for the 1897 Centennial Exposition, the building is a good example of a frame house. It was later bought and moved to Williamson County without any alterations and has one of the most extraordinary designs in the region.
The Natchez Trace Parkway provides a scenic and historic drive for visitors to the Middle Tennessee area. Stretching over 400 miles (643.73 kilometers) between an area just southwest of Nashville to Natchez, Mississippi, the Natchez Trace Parkway winds through such cities as Jackson and Tupelo, Mississippi and Cherokee, Alabama. Significant stops along the parkway include a variety of Indian mounds in the Middle Tennessee and northern Mississippi areas, a number of historic Confederate grave sites, and a variety of natural vistas. Visitors to the Natchez Trace Parkway may wish to camp along the way or cycle through parts of the parkway and surrounding areas.