Comfort Inn & Suites
6169 Reve Court
Fort Madison, IA 52627
Phone: (319) 372-6800
Fax: (319) 372-6830
The first United States military post on the upper Mississippi River and the Midwest's oldest American military garrison on the upper Mississippi River, Fort Madison was built in 1808 to protect the trading post and help to secure the newly acquired frontier. Though burned in 1813, after being abandoned, visitors can view a reconstructed fort and watch living history demonstrations.
This bronze statue by Stan Watts and Kim Corpany depict Joseph and Hyrum in peaceful conversation while on their way to Carthage, with 17 other men, to face the false charges of causing a riot.
Open daily from mid-May through mid-October, the restored Greek Revival-style Weld House is operated by the Nauvoo Historical Society. Its five rooms contain such treasures as the first occupant's, Dr. John Wells, desk, chair and medical bag, a 900 piece Indian arrowhead collection, Mississippi River mussel display, and an 1895 wedding garment.
A member of the Alliance Library System, the Nauvoo Public Library offers various reading programs, a children's hour, craft classes, book reviews, four computers, CDs, a copy machine, and more.
Situated on the banks of the Mississippi River, the 148-acre Nauvoo State Park features the 13-acre Lake Horton, 150 camping sites, the Nauvoo State Park Museum, trails, and two picnic and playground areas.
Situated on the banks of the Mississippi River, this cemetery is the final resting place for the Prophet Joseph Smith, Emma Hale Smith, his parents, Joseph Sr. and Lucy Mack Smith; Hyrum Smith, and many other Smith family members and friends.
A small family-owned winery in Nauvoo, Baxter's Vineyards & Winery has been in the same family since it was established in 1857. Baxter's Vineyards & Winery offers wine tasting and self-guided winery tours daily from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday and on Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The Nauvoo House is a part of the Nauvoo Historic District, a National Historic Landmark. The house was initially meant to be built as boarding house in the 1840s, but was later turned into a residential home and renamed the Riverside Mansion. The structure has had many different owners, most of whom were unsuccessful in completely building it for one reason or the other. In 1909, the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints bought the house and own it to this day. The mansion acts as a dormitory and is an important landmark in the neighbourhood.
Attractions include go-carts, an arcade, the "Jungle Zone," a huge indoor playground; and movie rentals.
From this observation deck, you have fantastic views of the Mississippi River, George M. Verity Riverboat Museum, Victory Park, and Lock and Dam #19.
One of 12 original national cemeteries designated by the U.S. Congress, the 2.75-acre Keokuk National Cemetery is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is the final resting place of over 4,000 American soldiers.
The Keokuk Public Library offers several programs per year and has an extensive collection of genealogical and local history materials.