Corniche du Président J.F. Kennedy
Corniche du Président John Fitzgerald Kennedy
The long coastal road, leading from the centre of Marseilles to the Prado and Gaston Defferre beaches, was constructed between 1850 and 1861. At this time it served to link the city centre with the chalet districts - the cabanons
- purpose built summer holiday accomodation. Measuring only 10 metres or so in width, an extension became necessary to bring the road in line with the post-war residential developments in the south. Undertaken by municipal engineers, the expansion was carried out between 1957 and 1968. Today, the coastal road is 22m wide with a split-level pavement on the seaward side, like a corbelled baclony, and an extended bench fitted along the whole 2200m stretch, making it the longest bench in the world! Looking out over Marseilles' famous natural harbour, the coastal road offers a magnificent view of the Frioul islands and Château d'If.