Pharo Palace (Palais du Pharo)
58 Boulevard Charles-Livon
+33 4 91 14 64 95
Gifted to Napoleon III by Marseille, this area of land, set on the Maure promontory overlooking the Château d'If
(famous for its prison) and the entrance to the Vieux Port
, enabled the emperor to fulfill his plans for a waterfront residence. Built by architects Lefuel and Vaucher between 1858 and 1870, Napoleon's wife, Empress Eugénie de Montijo, bequeathed the palace to the city in 1883. A 900-seat auditorium and several halls (in which official receptions, conferences and seminars are held) have been built beneath the garden. Art exhibitions occasionally take place here and are the ideal opportunity to take a look inside and enjoy the palace's magnificent décor.