551 South Transit Street
Lockport, NY 14094
Phone: (716) 434-4411
Fax: (716) 434-9649
The Niagara Escarpment presented quite an engineering challenge when the Erie Canal was constructed in 1825. A twin set of step locks was constructed so that boats could travel up and down the 59-foot escarpment. In fact, Lockport got its name from this impressive set of locks, which was referred to as the "flight of five". One set of the original locks was removed between 1908 and 1918 when the canal was modernized; this set remained as a landmark. A small museum, which focuses on canal construction history, is located next tot the flight of five.
The Col. William M. and Nancy Ralston Bond House was built in 1823. The Niagara County Historical Society operates it as a house museum and you need to book a tour in advance. For more details, call ahead.
1823 home, 12 furnished rooms, Empire period tours.
Located between the Park Avenue and West Avenue is a well-manicured green space named Ida Fritz Park. The park is named so after a veteran gardener who tried to beautify the place by planting some amazing trees and flowering plants here. In the very busy city life, this park is a respite to the eyes and provides an escape from the noises of the city. The prominent location of this place makes it a great option for shows and exhibitions that are held here. If you are tired of the loud noises of the city and want to take a small break during the day, Ida Fritz Park is an ideal place to go.
This small family-owned and operated winery, which is located along the Niagara Escarpment, produces fine dry wines using traditional methods like barrel aging. Part of the group of wineries located on the Niagara Wine Trail, this winery focuses on bio-dynamic farming methods to keep their soil healthy, and they use energy saving techniques in their wine production whenever possible. Some of the grapes they grow include Merlot, Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, and Cabernet Franc. Their 2006 barrel-fermented Chardonnay was rated the highest New York Chardonnay. The winery is also known for their icewine. Tours and tastings are offered at the winery.
Freedom Run, a family-owned and operated winery, which opened in February 2007, has the largest and most artistic tasting room on the Niagara Wine Trail. The front of the tasting bar features colorful hand-blown glass plates by Florida artist, Chuck Boux. Objects of art for sale include pottery created by Sean Manning, one of the winery's co-owners. Sean's brother Larry, and sister-in-law, Sandy Manning also help run the operation. Some of their wines include Manning Manor Reserve, a dry wine made from Niagara grapes and a semi-dry Riesling, one of their most popular wines. -Christine Smyczynski
This winery is set back from the road along an eight-acre spring-fed lake. Three generation of the Varallo family are involved in its operation. Sample wine in their Tuscan-style tasting room and afterwards relax on the patio that overlooks the lake. A gift shop is located in a small cottage beside the lake. You can even stroll along the lake along a walking trail. Some of their wines include merlot, gewurz traminer and a white syrah. On select weekends a “wine train” excursion from the Medina Railroad Museum to Lockport makes a stop at the winery. -Christine Smyczynski
Randy and Karen Biehl operate this winery in a small red barn behind their home. It is a much smaller operation than most wineries on the Niagara Wine Trail and open on a limited basis, since both the Biehls have full-time jobs outside the winery. White wines include two different types of Chardonnay, and a semi-dry Riesling, Rose, and Cabernet. Their Crofton Blush is perfect to serve with light summer foods and pizza. Their 2004 Cabernet is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot. Their wines taste more like the wines you'd find across the border in Canada's Niagara Peninsula; not surprising, considering that they received the training at Cave Spring Cellars in Niagara-on-the-Lake. Chrisitne Smyczynski
Step back in time and see what life was like in Amherst in the 19th century. This 35-acre historical park features twelve restored buildings, open for tours from April to mid-October. A large modern exhibit building has year-round displays on local history, along with antique radios, decorative arts and changing exhibits. The children's discovery room has hands-on exhibits, including a replica Erie Canal packet boat. The museum offers educational programs for youth, along with craft guilds, such as lace-making and Victorian dancing for adults. Annual festivals and events include a harvest festival, Scottish festival and a Victorian Christmas. -Christine Smyczynski
Niagara Landing opened in 1998 and have produced award wining wines. The winery also specializes in wines made from labrusca grapes and European vinifera. There is a wide variety of quality wines so there is the perfect bottle that can be paired with any meal. Winery tours are available by appointment.
Warm Lake Estate has 45 acres of Pinot Noir vineyards, the largest planting of this type east of the Rockies. The only wine produced at this winery is Pinot Noir. Wine Spectator Magazine rated their Pinot Noir the best in New York State. They also won best in show at the Boston Wine Expo for their 2003 Pinot Noir. Their Pinot Noir is so popular, it is actually sold as futures. The vineyards location on the Niagara Escarpment allows for a longer growing season. The winery and tasting room, overlooking the vineyards, is located at the end of a very long driveway. -Christine A. Smyczynski
This winery is located along picturesque Route 104, the "Honeymoon Trail". Wines include Honeymoon Sweet, a sweet red wine made from Concord grapes, and Cayuga White, a semi-dry white wine. Their semi-sweet Pink Catawba took double gold in the 2007 Finger Lakes International Wine Competition. They have a small meeting room off the tasting room that can be rented for showers, reunions, or other events. -Christine Smyczynski