Comfort Hotel Finchley
3 Leisure Way, High Road
London, EN N12 0QZ
Phone: (44) 208 446-6644
Fax: (44) 208 446-5444
Spread over 7 hectares (17 acres), and located in the busy city streets of Finchley, Victoria park is a popular public recreation ground among the locals for its beautiful ornamental gardens and public sports facilities. Opened in 1902 in honor of Queen Victoria, it was here where Charles Dickens wrote his satirical novel, Martin Chuzzlewit. Today it features wide open mowed lawns, children's playgrounds, a toddler play area, well maintained flower gardens, six tennis courts and a multi-sports court along with a small cafe serving refreshments.
Lakeside Nature reserve is a small nature conservation site located in the London Borough of Barnet. Most of the area is comprised of a lake which has a beautiful water fountain and a small island where dragonflies and waterfowls can be spotted nesting during the summer season. Gypswort, water mint and purple loose-strife can be found here. The site is privately owned and public access is restricted but visitors can view the lake and the fountain from public footpaths on Strathmore Gardens.
The St Pancras and Islington Cemetery of East Finchley in North London is the third largest cemetery in the United Kingdom covering over 190 acres (76.8 hectares) of area. They are actually two cemeteries owned by different boroughs of London (Camden and Islington) but the fence between them has been removed to create a large ground for burials. It has the highest number of burials and cremations in the country with over 1 million recorded since its establishment in 1854. It is listed as Grade II on the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England. There are a number of famous personalities buried here like musicians, film stars, politicians, industrialists and scientists. There is a wide variety of plant life and wildflowers that grow in the cemetery and the animal life includes woodpeckers, goldcrests, treecreepers, kestrel and the occasional Muntjac deer.
A part of Coppett's Wood and Glebelands Local Nature Reserve, Coppett's Wood and Scrublands was formerly just a fragment of Finchley Wood. The site has quite a past, and was once used for military training during the Second World War. The remnants of this time exist till date in the park. Also, the Scrublands, a part of these woods, were once a site for a sewage related company, which eventually shut down in 1963. The woods have an extremely diverse flora and fauna, and cradles some extremely rare species of insects.
The Francis Skaryna Belarusian Library and Museum located in London features an extensive and comprehensive collection of literature from Belarus. With over 30,000 volumes the library is said to the best source of Belarusian literature in Europe outside Belarus. The books found in the library include works on history, literature, language, religion, folklore, local lore, bibliography, music and art. There is also an extensive collection of music records from Belarus on rock, folk and classical music. The museum section of the library showcases books from before the 1800s, the 19th century and archives from the Belarus Democratic Republic dating 1918. There are new publications purchased from Belarus regularly to keep the collection up to date. The library is an independent institution and depends on donations and funds from well wishers.
Coldfall Woods are ancient natural woods which cover around 34 acres (13.7 hectares) of area in Muswell Hill, North London. It is open to the public and is popular among local dog walkers and families for its beautiful trails and picnic spots. Although free, a donation of 3 pounds is appreciated by the council which helps in maintaining the woods and funds the conservation project which introduces new plants and trees in the area. There is an extensive and wide variety of plant species in the woods, many of which have been developed after the coppice project undertaken by the local authority. It is also a natural habitat to many species of bats and butterflies. It is a peaceful haven of tranquility in the middle of the city.
Sprawled over an expanse of 19 hectares (47 acres) is the historically-significant and poignant East Finchley Cemetery, previously known as St Marylebone Cemetery located at East Finchley in the London Borough of Barnet.The beautiful burial ground was the handiwork of the famous 19th-century architects - Barnet & Birch Ltd. Since 1937 when the crematorium first opened till recent years, the cemetery has been home to over 22,000 private burial spots and graves with a limited few still available. A small evocative remembrance within the cemetery, called the Soldier’s Corner has been designated to the commonwealth graves of the brave men and women who died in service of their country during the two Wars. The graveyard has earned a Green Flag status consecutively for four years as well as won the Cemetery of the Year award in 2007. The most prominent features of the cemetery are its two stunning Cedar of Lebanon trees resting on its front lawn since 1856.
The Gardens, located in Finchley, are beautiful historic gardens dating back to the early 19th Century. Originally, the private gardens of the Stephens House (former Avenue House), a grade II listed building located on the grounds, it now serves as a public park with a walled garden, lawns, an ornamental pond, a fountain and small children's playground. A variety of trees and birds can be found here, like woodpeckers, robins and green finches. A lovely place to have a family picnic or a lazy Sunday stroll.
St John, Friern Barnet began its life as a temporary iron structure built in 1883 and intended to serve as a chapel of ease. Although the construction of the existing building began in 1890, the death of the architect and shortage of funds led to delay after delay, so that the church was only completed in 1911. This architectural marvel is built on an elaborate design that is replete with details displaying skill and finesse. The interiors feature lofty ceiling, and fine stained glass work by Clayton and Bell that adds to the elegance of this magnificent church. Although the church is open to visitors, it is still actively used as a place of worship and so it is recommended that you call ahead before planning a visit.
Situated in a beige stone-walled building with a stark brown roof, and surrounded by lush greenery, St John's Church is full of Victorian architectural details and enjoys a special status of a Grade II listed building. It is a part of the parish of Friern Barnet. It conducts religious and social services like baptisms, weddings, funerals, confessions and confirmations.
The Bothy Gardens are located within the estate of the well-known Avenue House. Owned by the Avenue House Estate Trust, the entire area is lush green with pleasant sprinkles of colors in the form of flowers and birds. After undergoing many face-lifts, the garden sure has taken a pretty shape now. All in all it is great for walks or a quite time away from London city's hustle and bustle.
Friary park is a beautiful nature park in Barnet, offering a peaceful sanctuary to visitors. Spread over 9 hectares (22 acres), it has a formal Edwardian layout and has a well known statue of King Edward VII called the 'Statue of Peace'. It is an award winning nature conservation site and is home to a variety of mature tress, plants and animals. Sports facilities like football grounds, tennis courts, basketball hoops, a skate park, a multi-sports court, an outdoor gym and a bowling area are available for public use. A historical building called the Friary House featuring Gothic Revival architecture is located on the grounds. The park also has children's playgrounds, a toddler play area, flower gardens and woodland trails which make it a popular place among locals for family picnics and strolls.