588 S. Atlantic Blvd.
Monterey Park, CA 91754
Phone: (626) 308-9600
Fax: (626) 308-1980
588 S. Atlantic Blvd. , Monterey Park, CA, US, 91754
- Phone: (626) 308-9600
- Fax: (626) 308-1980
The California State University in Los Angeles is also referred to as Cal State L.A., CSULA, or CSLA. It is known to have one of the lowest tuition fees without compromising on the quality of education. The courses offered go beyond the usual and the faculty are world-class. Check website for details.
Managed by the Department of Recreation and Parks, El Sereno Recreation Center provides various facilities to the general public. A venue for various sports and cultural events, the center has an auditorium, basketball courts, community rooms, gymnasium, tennis court and a lot more ways to entertain. The center also has special features like a multipurpose sports field, a stage and a kitchen. The venue is also rented for various local and regional events. In addition to the recreation facilities, the El Sereno Recreational Center also runs a Senior Citizen Center and a Skate park.
Mission San Gabriel Arcángel is steeped in history that dates back to the 1700s. The visitors can tour this Roman Catholic mission church, museum and grounds. The museum exhibits mission relics, books and religious artifacts. This place also includes a cemetery, one of the most peaceful places on site.
The oldest and perhaps the largest cemetery in Los Angeles, the Evergreen Memorial Park and Cemetery is nestled in the sedate neighborhood of East Hollywood. Established in 1877, it houses over 300,000 graves and is the final resting place for many important citizens, ex-mayors of the city and numerous soldiers of the World Wars. Somber and dignified, there's a certain calm that encompasses this place that is a rarity in Hollywood.
San Marino's most impressive collection of greenery outside of the Huntington gardens is found in this beautiful 30-acre park. In addition to greenery, the park is home to six championship tennis courts and the Rose Arbor. The Rose Arbor is the oldest staple of the park, having been here for more than 60 years.
Charles F. Lummis built this small home over a period of twelve years around the turn of the 20th century. Constructed out of concrete and native materials such as boulders, the house provides an excellent glimpse of what many early California homes were like. However, the real attraction here is the story of Lummis himself. A Harvard graduate who started out as a poet, Lummis once walked all the way to California from Cincinnati, recording his observations as pieces for the L.A. Times. Cash only.
The Linda Vista Community Hospital is really the ghost of a Moorish style hospital called Santa Fe Railroad Hospital which was established in 1904. One of the best hospitals in the city in its heyday, it was demolished in 1937; and rebuilt as Linda Vista Community Hospital. However, by then its neighborhood had become the hub of gang wars and criminal activities, making the hospital treat violently wounded gangsters and criminals and increasing its mortality rate manyfold. In 1991, it ceased functioning as a hospital and is now claimed to be haunted. Not surprisingly it has been used to shoot many horror and thriller movies like End Of Days, Shadow Puppets and the eagerly awaited Insidious: Chapter 2.
Considered by the Greene brothers as their best architectural achievement, the Robert R. Blacker House is a grand bungalow which was built in 1907 for 100,000 USD. In adjusted figures, that sum is even more impressive, especially since the owner of the house provided the lumber from his own company. In the 1980s, a Texan purchased the house and sold off a number of the furniture and other interior accoutrements designed by the Greene brothers, causing a scandal among Pasadena's preservationists. Although the home is a private residence, no tour of historic L.A. structures would be complete without catching at least a glimpse of it.
This 15-acre site in Highland Park was once a haven for bandits who victimized travelers through the area. A large portion of the city was once a stopover for the decadent who frequented the plentiful saloons and roadhouses in the area, prompting the full time residents to pursue annexation into Los Angeles in 1898. A few years later this area was made a park as part of the growing recreation system. Today it features picnic benches, a playground and an outdoor amphitheater.
No visit to the City of Angels would be complete without a visit to San Antonio Winery, located just 5 minutes from the Civic Center. Designated by the city as a cultural landmark, this family-owned winery has been operating since 1917. The last of more than 100 wineries that once flourished near the Los Angeles River, San Antonio is legendary for its large variety of fine wines. There is also the wonderful Maddalena Restaurant which offers tempting Italian fare. You can dine inside or on the patio among the wine casks. The winery offers tastings and tours. There are also banquet facilities to seat as many as 300 people.
The Huntington, the former home of a railroad tycoon, is many things—an extensive library filled with rare books, a large art collection containing numerous European prints and paintings, botanical gardens of almost unmatched splendor and a forum for regular lectures and other activities. You will also find a fine bookstore, cafe and tea room on the grounds. Come and wander through the 150 acres of colorful gardens, lily ponds and beautiful sculptures. The rare books and manuscripts in the library include some of the earliest editions of Shakespeare's works, a copy of the Gutenberg Bible on vellum and the Ellesmere manuscript of one or more of Chaucer's greatest works.
The Church of the Angels is one of the most historic churches in Southern California. It was erected by the wife of Alexander Robert Campbell-Johnson, a descendant of a pre-Revolutionary War leader. Campbell-Johnson and his wife Frances traveled to California in search of land to purchase, which they found through then-mayor of Los Angeles Prudent Beaudry. The Episcopalian church, which encompasses an area that was once part of the Rancho San Rafael property, was built by Frances to honor her husband after he became ill and died. Visitors are welcome at Sunday services.