678 Bethlehem Pike
Montgomeryville, PA 18936
Phone: (215) 361-3600
Fax: (215) 361-7949
678 Bethlehem Pike, Montgomeryville, PA, US, 18936
- Phone: (215) 361-3600
- Fax: (215) 361-7949
Arts & Museums
The Whitepain Public School serves the Blue Bell vicinity of the Montgomery County in Pennsylvania. Constructed and established in the year 1895, the school stands stern as one of the foremost schools in the region. The structure is a great depiction of the Gothic and the Late Victorian styles of architecture and is included in the National Register of Historic Places.
Named after James Michener who was the only Pulitzer Prize winning author from Doylestown, the independant James A. Michener Art Museum first opened in 1988. Boasting a collection of over 2200 paintings and artifacts from the Bucks County region of Pennsylvania, this is a haven of sorts for lovers of Impressionist Art. The facility can be rented for bridal showers, gala dinners, wedding receptions, Bar Mitzvahs, meetings etc. Don't forget to have a photo session at the scenic Patricia D. Pfundt Sculpture Garden on your way out.
The story of Mennonite faith and life in southeastern Pennsylvania is told at the Mennonite Heritage Center. It contains the permanent exhibit "Work and Hope," fraktur and changing exhibits, a historical library with archives, and a gift shop.
The late 1800s saw the Industrial Revolution took over when the machines rendered hand-made devices obsolete. This was when Henry Mercer, an archaeologist, and a visionary in his own right, realized the importance of preserving these discarded, forgotten artifacts. Mercer either built or collected everything inside and outside of the huge mansion. The ambitious project, completed in 1912, comprises of over 400,000 instruments. Featuring artifacts like a whaler's boat, vampire's hunting kit, watchmaker's tools that depict the average American livelihoods over the century, the Mercer Museum is not only one of the most visited museums in the country but also an inspiration in itself.
A National Historic Landmark, Moravian Pottery & Tile Works is a working history museum where handmade tiles are still produced in a similar method that was developed by the pottery's founder and builder, Henry Chapman Mercer. Offered every half-hour, tours include a 17-minute video and a self-guided walk through the facility.
The Chestnut Hill Historical Society collection includes architectural drawings, building records, maps, prints, deeds, research papers, books and miscellaneous documents from the 18th century to the present relating to Northwest Philadelphia. Holdings also include photographs, personal papers, oral histories, diaries and other genealogical materials. The archives and collections room is open to the public and is available by appointment.
The Glencairn Museum focuses on religious history and includes religions across the world. Its extensive collection of religious artwork features Asian, American Indian, Ancient Near East and so forth. Apart from the permanent exhibits, Glencairn Museum also showcases touring and temporary collections. Every year, it hosts four festivals that includes Medieval Festival, Sacred Arts Festival, Halloween and Christmas. It also conducts educational programs that cater to diverse age groups. Though the activities and endeavors vary, the common bond is always religion. For visiting hours and tour prices, check the website.
The Archives of the Medical Mission Sisters documents the history of their mission, charisma and ministries around the world. The Mission movement, founded by Dr. Ann Dengel in 1925, established clinics, hospitals and schools of nurse-midwifery around the world. As the Sisters trained local professionals, they turned the established hospitals over to local authorities. They published the Medical Missionary Magazine from 1927 to 1970; this remains the best source of historical information about the community. The archives are open to the public.
Cheltenham Center for the Arts is located in the former George K. Heller School which was the first of its kind in the township of Cheltenham and the oldest public school in the state till its closure in 1953. The Late Victorian stone structure is the ideal setting for this arts center which was founded in 1940. The Cheltenham Center for the Arts is known for its art classes, exhibitions and theater highlighting the work of local artists and the community. Its sole focus is to express social interests in a creative way through artistic mediums.
The paintings, photographs and sculpture of renowned and upcoming regional artisans highlight the 2700 square feet of the Artforms Gallery. Scheduled special events and exhibitions are frequent. Get the glimpse of local arts through the work of the local and regional artists. Call for more information on events and exhibitions.
Charles Willson Peale's Museum could be considered the first Natural History museum in the United States. The museum was created by Peale's realization that his mastodon fossils drew a lot of public attention. An artist as well as a natural history enthusiast, Peale started collecting different types of bones, bird species, and several other artifacts, which led to the opening of this museum in 1786. One of the very first museums in America, Charles Willson Peale's Museum closed in 1997, and its remaining collections were either sold or given away to Maryland Historical Society.
Known as the "Destination for Fine Art in New Hope", this gallery's roster has climbed to over 30 local, national, and international artists since their opening. The range of media used includes oils, pastels, photography, mixed-media, and sculpture all of the finest quality. Soft jazz, fresh flowers, and comfortable seating make this a relaxing and sophisticated place to view fine art.