+49 89 2339 6500 (Tourist Information)
Marienplatz has been at the thick of things ever since the city was founded by Henry the Lion in 1158. It was once a salt and grain market, but is now a magnet for tourists who flock here to marvel at the Gothic facade of the town hall
. The bells in the town hall tower peal in the afternoons, accompanied by a glockenspiel
depicting a medieval dance and the wedding of Duke William V and Renata von Lothringen. The Mariensäule
stands in the middle of the square.