3240-1 Iojima Shinbana
+81 95 823 3631
Ten kilometres from Nagasaki City lies the beautiful island of Iojima, on the northern tip of which stands this lighthouse. Built in 1866, it was a harbinger of the modernization of Japan, the first such structure in the country to be made of iron. Almost completely rebuilt in 1954, it still retains its original dome ceiling. Though presently unmanned, the lighthouse houses a memorial center that displays numerous documents from its occupied days. The view from here on a clear day is absolutely splendid.