Comfort Inn Lower East Side
136 Ludlow Street
New York, NY 10002
Phone: (212) 260-4141
Fax: (212) 260-9436
136 Ludlow Street , New York, NY, US, 10002
- Phone: (212) 260-4141
- Fax: (212) 260-9436
The Williamsburg Bridge is one of the best and fastest ways to get from Brooklyn to Manhattan. A great alternative to the more well-known Brooklyn Bridge, the Williamsburg Bridge offers great views of the city when crossing the river. A pleasant pedestrian and biking path places bi-peds above all the cars, and even the subway, which uses the bridge to cross. The railings are painted a pleasing pink (although this is sometimes more of a red color) and the walk is pleasant. In Brooklyn, the bridge is just next to a cute neighborhood with shops and cafes, and in Manhattan, the end drops you in the thick of the hustle and bustle for which the City is revered.
The Kehila Kedosha Janina was built between 1925 and 1927 in the Lower East Side neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. It is one of the only Romaniote rite synagogues in the western hemisphere. There are a set of holiday schedule services and lunch tours are also available. A big highlight is the Kehila Kedosha Janina Museum, which preserves the 2000 year old culture of the Romaniotes. Even after years, the synagogue operates in its original form.
The New York City Marble Cemetery is known for its system of underground marble burial vaults. The position of each vault is marked by a marble stand, or with monuments of varied sizes. The Cemetery holds several notable Americans like Moses Taylor, Stephen Allen and ex-president James Monroe. This cemetery is a non-sectarian cemetery that dedicates itself to family vaults, and the beautiful memorials help locate the vaults. A beautifully decorated and well-maintained cemetery, The New York City Marble Cemetery is considered a fashionable burial place.
Established and sanctified in 1852, the Most Holy Redeemer Church is a dedication to Our Lady of Perpetual Help. Also known as Iglesia Santisimo Redentor, this Roman Catholic church was constructed with an aim of providing the German community in Manhattan with a religious space. However, later it became a church for all immigrants. The facade is a splendid mix of Romanesque and Baroque architecture. Check the website for schedule of masses conducted throughout the week.
Opened its doors towards the end of 2013, this brewery, bar and restaurant is the fist establishment by the popular German brand, Paulaner. Paulaner Brauhaus & Restaurant NYC is located within a historical building on Bowery, which was once home to the popular Sammy's Bowery Follies Cabaret in the mid-20th Century. The beers provided, thought limited, are brewed on-site and remain true to the Paulaner variety. Occasionally special beers are also served. The food offered, incorporates New York elements into traditional German recipes. A brewmaster guides guests through the entire process of how beer is made at Paulaner Brauhaus. Your visit to Paulaner Brauhaus & Restaurant NYC will surely be an enlightening and entertaining one.
The New York Marble Cemetery is a historic cemetery built in 1830. Spread over a modest area of 0.5 acre (0.20 hectare), it is located at 41½ Second Avenue. This cemetery is said to be the earliest non-sectarian burial ground in the city. The facility is open for visitors to get acquainted with the history or just to pay respect to the deceased. The cemetery is also open at other times, but a prior call to the administration is recommended.
The Harry de Jur Playhouse was built in 1915 and its renovated state-of-the-art acoustics and intimate space (seats 350) has made it a designated national landmark. The Playhouse is home to the Gotham Chamber Opera and has seen performances by many legendary actors including Ethel Barrymore, James Cagney, George Burns and Fred Astaire. Currently, the Harry de Jur hosts a variety of both amateur and professional productions.
The 6th & B Garden is a green oasis in the middle of East Village in New York City. Originally the place was a marsh created by the East river, which was refilled in 1845. Buildings replaced the empty lot, gradually it filled with immigrants until they too abandoned the place by the 1980s. The rubble and dilapidated structures were removed to make place for open space and the plan was made for a garden in 1983. The garden came into being with energetic community support and hands on work by them. The garden is also an event center for the community, where programs and workshops are held. an ideal retreat on lazy weekends.
Before the massive Fifth Avenue St. Patrick's was completed, New York's Catholic community was centered at this small, dignified cathedral in Little Italy. Completed in 1815, the landmark building houses a beautiful marble altar surrounded by ornate hand-carved reredos. Historically significant, Old St. Patrick's weathered early American anti-Catholic and anti-immigrant sentiment and organized its congregation against their attackers. Still active, Old Saint Patrick's celebrates masses in English, Spanish and Chinese.
This temple is the largest Buddhist temple in Chinatown, and inside rests what many believe to be the largest Buddha in New York at a towering 16 feet (4.88 meters). Two golden lions guard the entrance to the temple, which also houses a large urn with burning incense. Besides the expected Buddhist worship services, the temple also has a gift shop for visitors, and a donation of USD1 is rewarded with a small fortune scroll.
New York's Chinatown is a cultural haven full of ancient and exotic traditions, and a huge amount of restaurants. This bustling and crowded neighborhood is home to over half of the city's Chinese population. In the grocery stores and fruit stands, you will find many food items available nowhere else in the city - from exotic fruit and vegetables to live snails and dried shrimp. Excellent Thai, Vietnamese and Korean restaurants have joined the mix. Every lunar new year, the street are filled with the hubbub of the Chinatown Chinese New Year Parade.
Built in 1828 immediately after abolition of slavery in New York, this Anglican church is now home to the largest African American congregation in the Lower East Side. Though slavery in New York supposedly ended in 1827, this church was still built with two hidden rooms known as slave galleries, where African Americans were segregated to. The slave galleries remain there today as the church's most popular attraction.