+49 89 891 2110
Formerly used for hunting and pleasure by Bavarian princes, Blutenburg Castle was built in 1425 by Albrecht III, who stayed there with his lover Agnes Bernauer. She is one of the popular, tragic figures of Bavarian history, having been taken prisoner by Albrecht's father in 1435 and drowned as witch. Blutenburg is a moated castle situated between two branches of the River Würm. It is an example of late Gothic architecture which, by the time the prince's stables were constructed in 1529, had been significantly extended (the castle church was added in 1488 and the New Hall in 1456). There are lovely gardens designed by Teutsch. The castle has housed the International Youth Library since 1983 and with over 500,000 volumes, it is the largest of its type in the world.