Fontaine des Innocents
rue des Innocents
+33 1 4952 4263 (Tourist Information)
Fontaine des Innocents was created by Jean Goujon between 1546 and 1549 to celebrate the entrance of Henri II in Paris. It was first located at the junction of Rue St Denis and Rue aux Fers, leaned back on Saints Innocents church: there were only three sides, decorated with nymphs and naiads. At the end of 18th Century, Parisian cemeteries were emptied and relocated, including the Innocent cemetery. The fountain was relocated in 1788 to Rue des Innocents and Augustin Pajou designed a fourth side. The Innocents fountain was relocated again by a few meters in 1858 to place it in the center of a new square and a pedestal with six basins was added.