Big Bethel AME Church
220 Auburn Avenue Northeast
Atlanta, GA 30303
+1 404 827 9707
Big Bethel was around even before Atlanta
became a city. Founded in 1847 as Union Church, it was known as Sweet Auburn's City Hall due to its importance as a meeting place. In 1881 it moved next door to its present building, which had served as the first school for black children in Atlanta
. Today, the church is one of the largest AME churches in the city. The high steeple's 'Jesus Saves' neon sign has lit the Atlanta
skyline since 1922. Open during the day for visitors.