Fukuoka Castle Ruins
Near Ohorikoen Subway Station
+81 92 431 3003
Nagamasu Kuroda, the first feudal lord of Chikuzen after the reunification of the country under Toyotomi Hideyoshi, was given permission to build this castle after the defeat of the Kyushu Daimyo. Completed in 1601, it was named Fukuoka after Kuroda's birthplace in Okayama prefecture. Of the original 47 towers of this once-impressive castle only the Otemon Gate and the Tamon Turret now remain. However, a climb to the top of the ruins will be rewarded with an excellent view of the Momochi area (Fukuoka Dome
and Fukuoka Tower
), Hakata Bay and the mountains surrounding Fukuoka City. Nearby sites include Ohori Park, the Fukuoka Museum of Modern Art, and Noh Theatre.