Comfort Inn San Diego Hotel Circle SeaWorld Area
2201 Hotel Circle South
San Diego, CA 92108
Phone: (619) 881-6800
Fax: (619) 542-1227
2201 Hotel Circle South, San Diego, CA, US, 92108
- Phone: (619) 881-6800
- Fax: (619) 542-1227
Near the top of Presidio Drive, which exposes one of the best views of the Pacific Ocean, across from The Arbor, a sign indicates a historic landmark at the top of a set of stone steps. Fort Stockton was fortified by Carlos Carillo in 1828 as a Mexican military post. From July through November of 1846, American forces captured Fort Stockton and renamed it Fort Dupont. The Mexican army briefly reclaimed it; though, with the aid of the Mormon Brigade, whose history is preserved by statues and plaques, at the top of the stone steps, the Americans took final possession of what remained Fort Stockton, until the end of the war. - Erick Pettersen
High above Old Town, sits the Presidio. First built in 1769 by the Spanish Army as a fort, the Presidio lookout still provides a panoramic view of the city. The adjacent museum was built in 1929 revealing a fine example of Mission Revival-style architecture. Inside the museum you will find clothing, artifacts, furniture, tools and army artillery.
The San Diego Presidio and San Diego Mission once sat atop rolling hills, where Lieutenant Pedro Fages began his quest to make San Diego the first European settlement on the west coast. Now, more than two centuries later, a paved road leads from the busy streets, just east of San Diego's Old Town, up a hill, between scattered statues, museums, picnic areas, and walking trails. In 1960, San Diego declared the Presidio a historic landmark, and today guests can tour Spanish style museums, learn about the Mormon Battalion that fought in the Mexican-American War, and get a bird's eye view of San Diego Harbor. - Erick Pettersen
While visiting Old Town, be sure to take time to step into the past. Maintained by the San Diego County Department of Parks & Recreation, these stately Victorian homes the Heritage Park were moved to this site during the '40s in order to protect them for generations to come. The area includes Senlis Cottage 1896, Sherman-Gilbert House 1887, Italiante Christian House 1889, Queen Anne McConaughy House 1887, Stick Eastlake Burton House 1887, Classic Revival Temple Beth Israel 1889, Classic revival and the oldest Jewish temple in the city.
The Whaley House is one of a select few authenticated by the United States Department of Commerce as being haunted. Thomas Whaley, a New York entrepreneur who came to California during the Gold Rush, built the two-story brick home in 1856 in order to provide East-coast civility for his wife. Used as the county courthouse and government seat during the 1870s, artifacts and period furnishings remain intact. Apparently, so has the ghost. See website for more on the history of Whaley and his house, as well as group tour info, and special event announcements.
History, food and fun are all within easy walking distance of the Old Town. Father Serra established the first mission here more than 225 years ago; Kit Carson helped to raise the first American flag in 1846. Now there are 37 restaurants and entertainment is abundant with artisans, dancers, galleries, hotels, mariachis, professional theatre and shops. Most restaurants and shops accept major credit cards. You can access this area from Interstate-5 by taking the Old Town Avenue exit, driving east and turning left on San Diego Avenue.
Don Miguel T. de Pedrorena, a man of Spanish descent, relocated to the United States from Madrid, Spain. A man educated at Oxford, he became a leader in social life and public affairs. During the Mexican-American War, Pedrorena served as a captain for the United States military. He buried one of the two remaining cannons from Fort Guijarros underneath his house or in the patio behind the house. After he died, his son-in-law Jose Antonio Altamirano raised his family here. Altamirano relocated his family from their former house next door, which became the first home of the San Diego Union. - Erick Pettersen
Behind trees, hidden from the historic prestige of much of the rest of Old Town San Diego, this white stucco chapel was built in 1850 as the home of John Brown. Don Jose Aguirre converted this building into a parish in 1858. This chapel, a rebuild of the original bulldozed chapel, contains many of the original artifacts, including the tabernacle, alter, pews, and doors. For those who question the hauntings of the Whaley House operated in conjuction with the Adobe Chapel, Jose Aguirre's tomb is in the floor of the chapel. In the sanctuary, guests can sit at one of the pews set in a single row in front of two altars that separated the faithful from the various parishioners. - Erick Pettersen
A prime example of early Mexican architecture, this stucco dwelling, Casa de Estudillo was originally built as the home of Mexican Army Officer Jose Maria Estudillo. Abandoned in the 18th century, historians of San Diego restored the house in 1910. Located in Old Town near many other historic sites to see in this area where San Diego first began. There is no admission fee, so it makes a great place to take the children to learn about the city's history. Admission is free.
This house was built by Corporal Jose Manuel Machado for his daughter about fifty years after he was stationed at San Diego’s presidio as a “Leatherjacket Soldier” of the Spanish Army. Located on the southwest corner of Old Town’s Plaza, this home earned its original name, “Casa de la Bandera,” because Machado’s daughter, Maria Antonia, and his son-in-law, Manuel de Silvas, cut down the Mexican flag and hid it from American invaders there. Once a home that brought a story of romance between the two neighboring countries when Machado’s other daughter Guadalupe married an American soldier, this building now serves as a community church. - Erick Pettersen
This university campus is a San Diego landmark, with the blue dome of the Immaculata Church rising from the north side of the bluffs above Mission Valley. In fact, the beautiful and historic Immaculata Church is a frequent choice for Catholic weddings in San Diego. The school itself is a Catholic-influenced institution, particularly renowned for its law school, with both faculty positions and student admissions open to all faiths. Parking regulations are strictly enforced and all visitors must obtain a visitor's parking permit from the entrance kiosk or the office.
The Jenny Craig Pavilion which opened on 5th October 2000 has a seating capacity of 5,100. It is home to the men's and women's basketball teams and the volleyball team. The center boasts of a state-of-the-art Athletic Training Facility. The arena, reminiscent of the 16th century Spanish Renaissance theme, contains high tech sound and lighting. The 2001, 2002, and 2003 West Coast Conference Basketball Championships, the 2002 California Junior College Basketball Championships, the 2003 NFL Celebrity Basketball Game, the Official Super Bowl XXXVII Luncheon and the 2004 Judo National Championships are only some of the high profile sports events that have been held here.