Comfort Inn By the Bay
2775 Van Ness Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94109-1497
Phone: (415) 928-5000
Fax: (415) 441-3990x513
2775 Van Ness Ave. , San Francisco, CA, US, 94109-1497
- Phone: (415) 928-5000
- Fax: (415) 441-3990x513
This proves that fadism is not a recent phenomenon. The design of the Octagon House, an oddity built in 1861 is based on a popular theory of the mid-1800s, namely that people inhabiting a space of this shape would live healthier, happier lives. The building now houses a museum of American Colonial and Federal Era decorative arts and historical documents. Another octagon house, not open to the public, can be seen on the 1000 block of Green Street.
This picturesque stretch of Lombard Street has eight tight turns along a single block. They twist at very acute angles, making for very slow going if you are in a car. Although, oddly enough, cars were the reason for designing the street this way back in 1922, the idea being that this design would make it easier for them to negotiate the steep 16-percent grade. The drive is usually bumper-to-bumper and in the summertime, there is almost always a line of cars waiting to take the drive down. That being said, going for a stroll along this landmark is a good option, especially when the hydrangeas along the sidewalk are in bloom.
Off Point Lobos Avenue, just up the hill from the Cliff House, is this paved area offering one of San Francisco's most spectacular views complete with the sounds of foghorns and barking seals in the distance! To the west, overlooking Seal Rocks and the Pacific, is a memorial to the men lost on the U.S.S. San Francisco at the Battle of Guadalcanal. The bridge of that ship forms the monument itself and the holes ripped into the metal are the result of damage received during the battle. To the north, overlooking the Marin Headlands, are binoculars with preset coordinates, all the better to view Mount Tamalpais or the Farallon Islands. Guides near the binoculars offer a short history of the Port of San Francisco and the shipwrecks that have occurred in these waters. Some, rather steep hiking trails, lead down from here to the ruins of the Sutro Baths. The Coastal Trail, also steep, leads east from Fort Miley towards Fort Mason by way of China Beach and Baker Beach. Admission is free.
Macondray Lane is a small through-way lined with attractive cottages and a beautiful wooded area, making it a prime residential location. It extends two blocks to the east and west between Leavenworth and Taylor Street and parallel to Union and Green Street. The street is paved with stones and a flight of wooden stairs lead you to Taylor Street where one can catch a breath-taking view of the Bay Area.
Founded in 1971 by the rock band, "Wolfgang & Strauss", Blue Bear School of Music, a non-profit music school teaches rock, folk, blues and jazz to musicians of any age or talent. Choose from classes including guitar, bass, voice, theory, song-writing and band workshops. You can take either private or group lessons, seminars, or a comprehensive study program. Experienced teachers, who have played with bands like Billy Idol, Norah Jones, and the Counting Crows offer a relaxed and fun atmosphere. For those who can't afford music lessons, scholarships are available as well as a sliding pay scale.
The Eppleton Hall is a tugboat, this steel tug features two engines i.e. two sided lever. Built in the year 1914, the tugboat measures 100.6 in length and 10.8 feet in depth. Ths engines can also operate both paddlewheels each independently. However, this ship is not open to the public.
Hyde Street Pier, located near the Fisherman's Wharf, is the perfect place to enjoy beautiful views of the adjoining sea. It used to serve as a major ferry terminal before the inception of the Golden Gate Bridge. However, now, the pier has been turned into a historical museum and has become a regularly visited tourist attraction. The Hyde Street Pier also acts an event venue for family events like the "Christmas at Sea". If you are a nature lover, then a visit to the Hyde Street Pier is a must.
C.A. Thayer was constructed in 1895 to be used for lumber trade in the Pacific. From 1912 onwards, C.A. Thayer ceased to be used for lumber trade, but instead was utilized for fishing. After sailing for over 50 years, she took her last voyage in 1950. San Francisco Maritime National Historic Park purchased this boat and restored it to its former glory. Since 1963, the schooner has been functioning as a museum ship. C.A. Thayer is the last schooner of its kind that is still afloat.
This is an old military base that has been transformed into a Mecca of art and culture. It is home to an array of galleries, museums, theaters, performance halls, non-profit organizations, classes, festivals and events, including the Japantown Anime Fair. The center offers numerous facilities like the Great Meadow and Festival Pavilion which are available for rent and can accommodate both small and large events. The chapel is a fabulous place for a wedding, and Fort Mason's great green lawn, with its views of the city and the bay, is a destination in and of itself.
Interested in architecture? These tours explore the rich architectural heritage of the Pacific Heights neighborhood. Explore the neighborhood of some of the City's finest "painted ladies", as the polychrome Victorian and Edwardian homes are called. Led by members of the San Francisco Architectural Heritage Foundation, the tours focus on those Victorian and Edwardian houses, though examples of other styles are also noted. The foundation offers a variety of tours at a variety of prices throughout the year; call for specific information.
Hercules is a steamboat built in the year 1907. Built as a steam powered tug boat that was used for ocean towing, the boat was 151 feet tall and was steel construction. Hercules was best known for towing, sailing ships, diabled vessels, barges, rafts, etc. The tug often carried it's set of crew along whenever it travelled. Currently the tug is beautifully preserved at the San Fransisco Maritime National Historic Park.
Fisherman's Wharf remains one of San Francisco's most popular tourist destinations. The Wharf consists of a long, coast side row of seafood restaurants, street vendors, souvenir stores, and beautiful ocean scenery. Fisherman's Wharf was originally a major fishing pier, and although the fishing industry is still alive today, the main focus of this specific coastal area is its historic tourist attractions. Parking is limited on the Wharf itself so parking downtown or taking a cable car to the Wharf is recommended. Ferry rides are offered for those who would like to visit Marin County. There are numerous attractions and great places to eat (see the other entries for Tourist Attractions and Fisherman Wharf restaurants). Wear comfortable shoes and dress in layers, even during summer months, as the breeze off the ocean can be quite chilling. And take your camera - the photo opportunities are fabulous.