4404 I-75 Bus. Spur
Sault Sainte Marie, MI 49783
Phone: (906) 635-1118
Fax: (906) 635-1119
Open from mid-May through mid-October, Sherman Park is a 68.7-acre park that is situated on the upper St. Mary's River. It contains the City's only public beach, a campground, large rental pavilion, playground, horseshoe pits, volleyball courts, bocce courts, nature trails, cross-country skiing trails, and more.
Bayliss Public Library provides books, magazines, newspapers, movies, music, CD-ROMs, microfilm, genealogical resources, inter-library loans, computer access, and wireless Internet access. The Augusta Hursley Seal Children
The First United Presbyterian Church has been serving the town of Sault Ste. Marie since its inception in 1903 and continues to do so to this day. It has various church education related activities for children and youth, as well as for adults. The original Romanesque revival structure was built in 1903 and featured an auditorium as well as an ornate organ. However, the building was destroyed when the church was gutted by a fire in 2000. It was then rebuilt by 2003 as the current structure.
The Chippewa County Courthouse, a renowned government building, is one of the oldest courthouses still in use. This three-story stone structure is T-shaped, and is replete with unique and beautiful interiors, long corridors, a clock tower on the top, and a mansard roof. This landmark courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1968 near the site where Father Marquette, an early pioneer to the area, constructed his first mission, this tower serves as an unusual tribute to the Upper Peninsula's first inhabitants. The tower climbs 210 feet into the Michigan sky, affording views of Lake Superior, Canada, and the Soo Locks, which ranks as the busiest shipping channel in the world. A roomy elevator whisks visitors to the top. So fear not, climbing is not necessary. The base of the tower houses exhibits detailing the Native Americans who once called the Upper Peninsula home. Admission: USD4 adults; USD2 kids (6-16). The place opens from Mid-May, please call ahead.
Located by the S.S. Valley Camp museum ship and the historic home district, the 4.4-acre Kemp Marina features 58 transient slips and seasonal slips. Gas, pumpout service, oil, ice, bathrooms, and showers are available when the Marina is open from mid-May through mid-October.
The Elmwood, well known as the Schoolcraft House, is a two story Federal style structure. This 100-foot (30-meter) long building consists of 15 rooms and a full-length veranda. It is beautiful in its appearance with a simple design and was also used as an office. It features on the National Register of Historic Places.
The eminent John Johnston House is a private home, located at 415 Park Place in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. Constructed in 1822, it occupies an area of 0.1 acres (0.040 hectares). Built with cedar logs, it is a two-and-a-half-storied house which is rectangular in shape. The first story comprises of a central hall and five rooms, and the gabled rood adds to its aesthetic beauty. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 8, 1970.
Located within the Soo Locks, this park and information center offers information regarding the "world
A part of the St. Mary's River, the Whitefish Island is a beautiful fishing station that was used by Anishenabek tribes. In 1981, this historical island was awarded the status of a National Historic Site of Canada.
A part of the navigation route from the Atlantic Ocean to Lake Superior, Sault Ste. Marie Canal is the last lock in the system, stretching from St. Lawrence River and ending at Lake Superior. Constructed in 1895, this canal was considered to be the longest in the world at the time of its establishment. It was also the first in Canada to function on electricity and also had an emergency swing dam. It was designated a historic site in 1998, and was opened to the public for recreational use.
Once a primary and the only mode of transport for various communities through the Turkey Trail, the Canadial freighter and passenger ferry Norgoma in now docked at the waterfront of the Sault Ste. Marie coast. The ship had been converted into a museum and is operated by St. Mary’s River Marine Heritage Centre. A tour to the museum would take you through the machinery, cabins, and passenger rooms of the ship and various photographs and artifacts collected over the time of its travel on the trail. Call for more information.