333 Great Northern Rd.
Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6B 4Z8
Phone: (705) 759-8000
Fax: (705) 759-8538
Central Methodist Episcopal Church, now the Central United Methodist Church, is a historic Romanesque-style church built in 1892-93. It has broad plain roof and arches over the doors and windows and is made of red sandstone. The church tower is topped with a steep pyramid-shaped spire. The building measures 75 feet (23 meters) by 108 feet (33 meters) and has a seating capacity of 1200 people. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984 and is a designated Michigan State Historic Site.
An architectural icon on Sault Ste. Marie’s cityscape, Saint James' Episcopal Church also features on the National Register of Historic Places. It was constructed in 1902 and illustrates the Late Gothic Revival school of architecture. The red sandstone building is adjacent to a square tower and is dotted with religious representations in stained glass by Tiffany.
Sault St.Marie literally translates into "the Rapids of Saint Mary" in French, and is one of the oldest cities in Michigan that has been settled by the natives for over 500 years. Because of mispronunciations, the city is simply called The Soo or The Sault. Tourism contributes a major chunk to the economy which depends on art, culture and history to bring in the visitors.
The First United Presbyterian Church has been serving the town of Sault Ste. Marie since its inception in 1903 and continues to do so to this day. It has various church education related activities for children and youth, as well as for adults. The original Romanesque revival structure was built in 1903 and featured an auditorium as well as an ornate organ. However, the building was destroyed when the church was gutted by a fire in 2000. It was then rebuilt by 2003 as the current structure.