Eglise protestante Saint-Pierre-le-Jeune
9, rue de l'Eglise
+33 3 88 22 02 40
This church is located near the place Kleber, inside the Ill belt. Originally built in the 11th century, it was inaugurated by the Alsace Pope Leon IX himself in 1031. Successive additions up until the twentieth century, with gothic architecture and even Roman remains, make this place a concentrated site of history. It went through the Reform at the start of the 16th century, but like the St Pierre-le-Vieux Church, it was Catholic in 1681. It stayed this way until the end of the 19th century; at this time, Catholics would take refuge in another church by the same name. The interior is impressive and elaborate; gothic vaults, the heart of the 12th century, numerous statues and sculptures, and 14th century rood screens. Not forgetting the three neighbouring chapels, the cloister and great door of the period. In summary, it is an outstanding visit.