460 Munson Ave. US HWY 31
Traverse City, MI 49686
Phone: (231) 778-8000
Fax: (231) 947-0859
Located on Cass Road, near the Sara Lee Bakery outlet, is The World's Largest Cherry Pie Pan. The gigantic tin pan is a marker to commemorate the Guinness World Record that the city holds for making the world's largest cherry pie. Chasing the record set by Charlevoix, MI in 1976, the Traverse City Cherry Pie weighed a whopping 28,350 pounds (12,859 kilograms). The pie monument is displayed vertically for the world to see and celebrate Traverse City as the National Cherry Capital of United States.
More than just a shopping center, The Village at Grand Traverse Commons is located in a preserved historical area, what used to be the Traverse City State Hospital. There are plenty of dining and shopping options, making for an enjoyable day out.
Located in Traverse City, which is known for its fair share of roadside attractions, is one of strangest attractions in Michigan. The grave site of Colantha the cow, is often sought by tourists and locals alike, who stop by to commemorate the life and achievement of the Champion Cow. Fondly remembered as Colantha Walker who was born and raised in the Northern Michigan Asylum, a self-sufficient mental health facility of the 1800s, she was claimed a champion in 1926. She produced a whopping 2746 gallons (10395 liters) of milk that year, while the average cow in Michigan would produce just about 469 gallons (1777 liters) of milk annually. Traverse City still remembers Colantha who has inspired the annual dairy festival in city called the Traverse Colantha Walker Dairy Festival held every at what used to be the mental asylum's grounds, which is also the final resting place of the legendary cow.
A Suttons Bay Winery and Distillery in Leelanau County, Black Star Farms produces classic varietal wines and fruit brandies. It is also home to Leelanau Cheese Company. Its award-winning traditional European-style cheeses are made in the creamery which is a part of the on-site wine tasting room. Equestrian facilities and an inn are also on the property.
Built in 1870, this historic lighthouse is now a museum of local history and culture, and an interesting feature is its unique location. Situated at exactly the 45th parallel between the North Pole and the Equator, the lighthouse was an important warning system for the ships and boats about the treacherous shoals off the coast into the Grand Traverse Bay. Self guided tours of the lighthouse are available with an admission fee, though the first level entry is free of charge. The lighthouse is located in Lighthouse park and is close to several beautiful hiking and trekking trails. Accommodation in the log cabin is available. Interestingly, the lighthouse has a Keeper Program, where visitors can volunteer to live in the lighthouse and help run it for a period of time. For additional information, visit the website or email.
A pile of rocks shaped to resemble a pyramid, the Hugh Gray's Monument lies on the Cairn Highway in Kewadin community of Milton Township. Built in 1938, the Hugh Gray Pyramid is dedicated to Hugh J. Gray former tourism minister of Michigan who has a big hand in elevating the level of tourist activity in the state.
Truly a sight to behold, the Grand Traverse Bay is one of the bays of Lake Michigan, located in the northern part of the state of Michigan. This bay constitutes other smaller bays, including Northport Bay, Suttons Bay, Omena Bay, Bowers Harbor and Old Mission Bay. This bay brings a bounty of natural resources to the many cities that line its length, especially the several Cherry trees that give Traverse City its moniker of 'Cherry Capital of the World'. The bay area is also known for its wine production, the soil and climate being ideal for grapes. A popular tourist destination as well, the Grand Traverse Bay offers a host of activities for the visitor, including canoeing and cruising on the Lake Michigan.
Located within the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, Port Oneida Rural Historic District aims to preserve the structures that exist on this farmland from the 19th Century. The structures belonged to early settlers who were drawn to the region because of the fertile land and proximity to Lake Michigan. Prominent structures in the district include a school as well as the Barratt Pig Barn. The site is also witness to the annual Port Oneida Fair.