Comfort Hotel am Medienpark
Phone: (49) 89 9584650
Fax: (49) 89 958465550
Arts & Museums
This former hospital has been hosting exhibitions by young German and foreign artists for ten years now. Under the direction of Christopher Kramatschek this institution has become a non-commercial platform often for experimental art. Most of the presentations play with the spatial situation of this old functional building: the most favored topics are Space and Body. Admission is free.
This forum was founded in 1993 by a group of disaffected female artists, who felt that they were not accepted by society. Instead of passively waiting for a 'Josephine Beuys', they founded an artists' network, which has grown and grown. Meetings are held on the first Monday of each month; information is exchanged, exhibitions and workshops planned. Direct contact to over 300 female artists opens a huge field of possibilities. Special exhibitions are organized. Admission is free. Opening hours depend on the exhibition.
This 35 and over year old gallery concentrates on 20th century artistic developments, with a focus on the more noted artists of modern classicism. The abstract tradition (by Kandinsky, Bernhard Schultze and Rolf Cavael) is present, as too are the realists (Otto Dix, Franz Radziwill and Johannes Grützke). Artists such as Horst Antes of the Blauer Reiter (Blue Rider) and the Brücke Group represent the new figurative art of the sixties. Younger artists exhibited here include Reiner Wagner, Peter Kampehl, Felix Weinhold and Volkmar Schulz-Rumpold.
Located in the heart of Schwabing, Munich's legendary artistic quarter, Galerie Helmut Leger presents a collection of post-1953 art in a building which used to be a dairy. The gallery specializes in exhibitions dealing with local groups such as WIR(1959-65), Spur (1957-65), Geflecht (1965-68) and Kollektiv Herzogstraße (1975-1982). The works of contemporary young abstract painters are also exhibited from time to time.
Until 1978, Edition Schellmann existed as part of the Schellmann and Klüser Gallery, but since then it has taken on the form of a publisher under the direction of Jörg Schellmann, with branches in Munich and New York. It specializes in modern contemporary furniture. On display at this gallery are excellent pieces of contemporary furniture. The amazing part of Edition Schellmann is that all the furniture here can be used as functional furniture. Exhibitions too are held here from time to time.
Having started his career as a partner in the Schellman Gallery, Bernd Klüser went on to establish his own gallery in 1978. The programme can only be described as classical with works by Joseph Beuys, who exhibited at the gallery when he was still alive, Christian Boltansi, Jannis Kounellis and Andy Warhol, as well as more recent names such as Stephan Balkenhol and Olaf Metzel. All, however, are well-established in the art market. The gallery publishes its own editions of the works of artists who exhibit there such as Beuys and Warhol. Numerous catalogues are published by the gallery.
This huge air-raid shelter, built in 1942, was used by the military in the decades after the War (as a wine cellar!), before it was sold to the consultant Wolfgang Tumulka in 1992. Tumulka proceeded to turn the bunker into a contemporary art gallery, filled with multimedia and abstract works, which are particularly well suited to the somewhat gloomy rooms. An interesting place for browsing through equally engaging works of art.
These splendid artists' studios, built at the turn of the century, are a stylish setting for rotating art exhibitions. The museum specialises in fin-de-siècle art, but also puts on some successful exhibitions of modern arts and crafts. The magnificently decorated rooms on the ground floor show the exquisite taste for which the former owner of the house, Munich artist Franz von Stuck, was well known.
Calling all history enthusiasts to witness a faithful reconstruction of Bavarian life from the Stone Age to the mysterious Middle Ages. This state archaeological collection is home to archaeological finds, ceramics and heaps of wonderful illustrations that lend this museum (built in 1973-75) an interesting historical and educational touch. Not just for the kids! Visit the website for upcoming event schedules and more information.
A one-of-its-kind assemblage of moths is on display here at the Museum Witt. The museum opened in 1980 and is a division of the Bavarian State Collection of Zoology. The collection here spans over 10 million types of moths and butterflies, making this the largest museum of its type in the world. The museum is the brainchild of Thomas J. Witt.
Thanks to Emperor Wilhelm II, this small but exquisite collection has remained in Munich. The previous owner, Adolf Friedrich Graf von Schack, had betrothed his collection of 250 contemporary paintings to the royal family, but the emperor decided to leave the pictures where they were. When the Prussian Embassy was rebuilt in 1911, the Schack pictures were moved to a new wing, where they have remained to this day. The collection includes works by Böcklin, Lenbach, Schwind, Feuerbach and Spitzweg as well as numerous landscapes.
Haus der Kunst gallery presents a historical and architectural challenge: opened in the Nazi era as the 'House of German Art' and home to notorious exhibitions such as 'An overview of degenerate art', the building was immediately closed after the War. Renovated and reopened in the early nineties, the gallery has now become an internationally renowned exhibition center under the directorship of the multi talented Christoph Vitali. There is no permanent collection, but temporary exhibitions with interesting events (museum nights, concerts, readings) are held regularly.