Ancien Palais de Justice
Quai Romain Rolland
+33 4 7277 6969 (Information touristique)
The old Palais de Justice (the new one is located in the Part Dieu district) was built on the banks of the Saône by L.P. Baltard between 1835 and 1845, at a time when classical antiquity was in vogue for art and architecture. The facade that overlooks the Saone river is neo-classical and resembles a Greco-Roman temple with 24 fluted columns and Corinthian capitals, Attic entablature and a monumental staircase. The effect is striking. The palace is organized around la salle des pas perdus
where the accused, lawyers and private parties would wait their turn to appear before the judge. This extraordinary room covered by three cupolas illustrates themes close to the heart of justice.