Comfort Inn & Suites
2250 N. George St.
York, PA 17406
Phone: (717) 699-1919
Fax: (717) 846-7209
The York Meetinghouse is a monumental building and a meeting avenue. It is situated in the York city in the form of a monumental Quaker house. It stands to terrific historical significance and is included on the National Register of Historic Places since 1975. The meetinghouse building was initially constructed in the year 1766 and further underwent expansion in 1783. It is predominantly a two bay structure that has been created by utilizing brick elements. The gable and the stunning green exteriors add up to the aesthetics of the structure.
Founded in 1999, following a merger between the Historical Society of York County and the Agricultural and Industrial Museum of York County, the York County Heritage Trust maintains eight sites that preserve and present 300 years of York County's rich history. These include the Historical Society Museum & Library, Agricultural & Industrial Museum, Colonial Court House, Gates House, Plough Tavern, Bonham House and the Fire Museum.
A fantasy of a quirky millionaire shoe businessman, the unconventional Shoe House is a sight to behold. Built in 1948 by 'Colonel' Mahlon N. Haines, it is made up of wood, wire and cement stucco and has elegant shoe stained glass windows. The five level building consists of three bedrooms, a hall and a kitchen. It was used as a weekend getaway for elderly couples and a honeymoon retreat for newlyweds to live like fairy tale kings and queens at Haines expense. Through its many years of existence, the Shoe House had various owners and was also an ice cream shop for a short time but since 2004 it is open to the public, offering an insight on the curious life of Mahlon N. Haines. Appointments are a must if you are visiting during winter and spring.
The renowned Samuel Stoner Homestead is a magnificent historic site and is accurately situated at the West Manchester Township in Pennsylvania. The construction of this ancient home took place in three stages, in the years of 1801, 1835 and 1850, respectively. This monumental home is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Howard Tunnel is a historic railroad in York County, Pennsylvania. In operation since 1838, it is one of the oldest operational tunnels in the country. During the Civil War, Confederate troops tried to destroy this brick lined tunnel, but it was safeguarded by the Pennsylvanian forces. It was bought by York County after it was fell in a state of disrepair and is now maintained as a railroad of historical significance. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.
This family owned and operated winery offers many different white and red wines, self-guided and guided sampling tours, and a wine shop. Concerts are held on the front lawn on Saturday nights from July through September.
The Hanover Junction Railroad Station is railroad station in North Codorus, Pennsylvania. What makes this three floored structure historic is the fact that President Abraham Lincoln boarded a train from this station for his famous Gettysburg address. The station was completed in 1854 and closed in 1920. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983 and is now a general history museum.
Constructed in 1769, the Warrington Meeting House is a typical Quaker house complete with a gable roof. This historical meetinghouse is included in the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
Known as an engineering landmark, the Columbia-Wrightsville Bridge is 7374 feet (2247 meters) long. Comprising of 28 arches, 185 feet (56 meters) long each, the bridge is used to carry traffic across the Susquehanna River. It is one of the longest concrete arch bridges in the world.
Moon Dancer Vineyards & Winery produces premium European-style dry wines and select Pennsylvania sweet wines over 17 feet below ground. Wine tastings, tours of the cellars, and live weekend music is available year-round.
This award-winning community library is dedicated to maintaining and improving public resources, programs, and services which reflect the informational, educational, and recreational needs of those living in Lancaster County.
Forry's Mill Covered Bridge is one of the many bridges that are a part of the Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. This bridge stretches across the Chiques Creek and is included in the National Register of Historic Places. Built way back in 1869, the domineering bridge still going strong and is in working condition.